I was able to join the toy swap and decided to make a stuffed elephant. I went ahead and got started this weekend so I would finish in time. The deadline is the 10th but I’ll be in Germany for a week and won’t have time to work on the project then.
I may not have a lot of fabric but I did have some that I thought would be perfect for this project.
I picked up the numbers fabric in Massachusetts because the store was going out of business and I couldn’t resist the prices. The was purchased for my latest quilt and I picked it to add a little more interest. The blue was purchased specifically for the elephant because I thought the blue would pop well.
I followed the cutting instructions to the letter then went renegade in the piecing and sewing. I tried to follow the instructions but it didn’t make sense.
The first step was to sew the belly (dark grey) pieces together. I assumed this meant all the way around but if you do that it’s impossible to sew the belly pieces to the rest of the body.
Instead I sewed the belly pieces right side together with a body piece and then was able to sew the front and back of the belly to the back piece and trunk.
I left the entire middle piece open to make it easier to turn right side out and stuff.
In hindsight I think he needs more stuffing but I had trouble sewing his belly up. I couldn’t do a blind stitch, hence the name “Frankenphant.” He has a very obvious seam but it’s partially hidden by the dark fabric and matching thread.
He’s still pretty cute, now I just need to finish his eyes and tail.