My ironing board cover was so old that I might as well have been ironing on the bare metal. Needless to say a new cover was long overdue. Originally I thought I wanted to do this
and I even bought that Alexander Henry fabric to do so but I never seemed to get around to it. So when I finally got around to it this week I decided a print fabric would be too busy. I take a lot of in progress pictures on my ironing board and I didn’t want to detract attention from the object I was photographing. The ironing board also lives in our living room/sewing room and it needs to be understated so it blends- gray was perfect that. I used a Kona Cotton chosen from my stash because I had enough of it.
She doesn’t mention adding batting but I cut two layers of an organic cotton batting I had on hand.
And because I’m a “genius” and took my old ironing board cover off when I started to make the new one I had to leave the pins in while I sewed the casing for the twine.
I also sewed the twine in place so that I wouldn’t have to thread it through and I skipped the button hole. It’s a great feature but I wasn’t in the mood to tackle the buttonhole attachment on my sewing machine so I simply left about a one inch gap in the casing for the strings to come out.
And it’s done 🙂 The whole thing only took an hour or so.