Do you think I could get away with giving everyone aprons for Christmas? I didn’t understand until I made a couple why there were whole books devoted to apron patterns. Now I know, they are addictive! They are relatively simple, don’t take a lot of time, materials or skill.
I checked “A is for Apron” by Nathalie Mornu out from my local library because it was one of the few “modern” craft/sewing books they had and when I flipped through it I fell in love with the Twirl, Girl. All of the pattern pieces are printed on the regular pages of the book so you have to take them to copy center to have them blown up 400%. If I bought the book I would probably prefer to have pattern pieces included but as a library book it’s great because the pattern pieces can’t be lost.
This pattern only had two pieces that look deceptively small even when blown up 400% but fear not it does make a regular sized apron!
I used Alexander Henry snacks fabric and Kona Cotton Kiwi that I had in my stash. Both are unusual choices but perfect for my sister. I bought the snack fabric a year and a half ago and knew eventually it would become a present for her but I wasn’t sure how.
I used the green because I’m still trying to use up the random solids in my stash and because she has a dress almost that exact color, so I know she likes it. I figured I could have used black which would have been a bit blah or pink or aqua but I didn’t think my sister would like those colors. So green it is and while I doubted it at first I really like how the combination turned out.
I used Sulky thread in Avocado for the topstitching because it was the closest match, it’s just a bit darker.
If you read my review of the Kitschy Kitchen Apron from One Yard Wonders you’ll know I had problems understanding the directions for the waistband. And I had problems with this one as well… Ironically the directions are basically same and enabled me to grasp the directions for the Kitschy Apron but the Twirl, Girl has the apron ties sewn into the band in a way that didn’t work when I sewed it together as the directions stated…. Apparently I’m just bad at attaching apron waistbands….When I sewed it together as instructed my ties ended up inside the waistband because they had me line up the raw edges of the waistband (folded over right sides together) with the raw edges of the ties and stitching along that edge.
So when you turn the waistband inside out the ties go from outside in… I undid all of that folded the raw edges of the waistband and pressed a 1/2 inch seam. Then I folded the waistband wrong sides together encasing about an inch of each tie and sewed a 1/4 inch along all four sides. It works just fine. And is the same thing I did on the other apron.
It took me a couple of days working in 15 minute increments to get it done. But done in a single sitting it could be finished in an hour or so.
I plan on making one more apron (I making one for my sister, my sister in law and one of my best friends) in case you are curious. This one will be using a free tutorial I found online. I also have plans to make my own pattern but I make no promises about when that will get done 😉