With my hexagon quilt top slowly chugging along I decided to turn my attention to the quilt back. Originally I was going to piece the leftover hexagons on a mostly solid background, however, there were two problems with that idea. 1) I don’t want to sew anymore hexagons together and 2) I don’t have enough of any one solid to cover the rest of the back.
But I still had the challenge of using the hexagons and solid fabrics that I already own.
I didn’t make it intentionally straight or wonky so it ended up mostly straight and when I had used up all the hexagon fabric I squared it up and added a cream border.
Then I needed to cover the rest of the quilt back. The obvious solution was a single solid fabric with the pieced square placed slightly off center, I thought a dark red would have been very dramatic and made the colors in the pieced square pop. That is if I had enough of a dark red fabric in my stash which I didn’t.
I knew that I had alot of gray fabric left over from my brother’s quilt so I pulled them all out (four in total) and started piecing them together. I was so close to having enough gray to do it too! When I fell short I covered the remaining area with one of the fabrics I used for hexagons. I hadn’t cut it all into hexagons because it was one of the few from the original stack that I really loved and I wanted to keep some of. But it was also the best solution to the fabric shortage for the back of the quilt…
Overall I really like how it turned out, the pieced back adds more interest then one solid fabric. I was also able to use up almost all of my original fabric (since I didn’t really like the fabric anymore this was one of my goals) and pull the remaining fabric for the quilt from my stash. While I found the hexagons tedious to piece, I really had to force myself to work on them, piecing the back was a lot of fun. I put as much time into the piecing half the hexagons together as I did the entire back but only really enjoyed the latter. To me that’s the difference between tedious and time consuming.